For the past fifty years, most evolutionary paleontologists have accepted Alfred Romer’s theory on the evolution of fish to land animals. Romer postulated that small fish found themselves in desert ponds that were shrinking and drying up. Like the walking catfish, these fish climbed out of their diminutive homes and clambered across the landscape on strong stumpy pectoral fins. The more they travelled cross-country, the more their fins grew to be stronger and better developed. After nearly thirty million years, these stout limbs slowly evolved into the limbs of the earliest amphibians.
Part of Romer’s theory included the notion that some fish can breathe through their skin or even by gulping air, like the lungfish and walking catfish. As the fins evolved into limbs over millions of years, the fish’s air bladders evolved into lungs to allow them to breathe air and become less dependent upon gills and water.
Supposedly, this all took place between 390 million years ago to about 360 million years ago. And for the past fifty years, I’ve heard from many evolutionists that Romer’s scenario is FACT!
Those facts are now being questioned and face a serious challenge from within the hallowed halls of evolution’s sacred temple.
Professor Gregory Retallack of the University of Oregon has been studying the soil types from the rock layers that have yielded the fossils and footprints of the supposed transitional period between the Devonian and Carboniferous ages. According to Retallack:
These transitional fossils were not associated with drying ponds or deserts, but consistently were found with humid woodland soils. Remains of drying ponds and desert soils also are known and are littered with fossil fish, but none of our distant ancestors. Judging from where their fossils were found, transitional forms between fish and amphibians lived in wooded floodplains. Our distant ancestors were not so much foolhardy, as opportunistic, taking advantage of floodplains and lakes choked with roots and logs for the first time in geological history.
Ancient soils and sediments at sites for transitional fossils around the world are critical for understanding when and under what conditions fish first walked. The Darwin fish of chrome adorning many car trunks represents a particular time and place in the long evolutionary history of life on earth.
The long standing facts of tetrapod evolution are themselves evolving into new sets of facts that will be adamantly defended by Darwin’s disciples until they are again replaced with another set of facts and so on. I don’t know about you, but if it isn’t true now, then it couldn’t have been a fact then.
I looked up the definitions for the word fact and found the following, among others:
1. fact – a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred; “first you must collect all the facts of the case”
2. fact – a statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened; “he supported his argument with an impressive array of facts”
3. fact – an event known to have happened or something known to have existed; “your fears have no basis in fact”; “how much of the story is fact and how much fiction is hard to tell”
From these definitions, many evolutionists would continue to argue that evolution is a fact. However, the next dictionary definition listed was:
4. fact – a concept whose truth can be proved; “scientific hypotheses are not facts”
In reality, both Romer’s and Retallack’s explanations of the evolution of fish to land tetrapods are nothing more than scientific hypotheses, which according to the dictionary cannot be considered to be facts. Furthermore, all evolutionary depictions of past history do not meet the definition of ‘fact’ as they cannot be scientifically proven; which is one reason why they are constantly changing.
And since according to the definition that evolution cannot be a fact, it must be considered to be a theory or for that matter, a religion. Evolution is something believed to be true without being able to prove it to be so.
New Theory Emerges for Where Some Fish Became Four-Limbed Creatures, Science Daily, Dec. 27, 2011.
Author: Dr Don Batten (with contributing editors Dr David Catchpoole, Dr Jonathan Sarfati and Dr Carl Wieland)
The Creation Answers Book provides biblical answers to over 60 important questions that everyone wants to know on creation/evolution and the Bible! Not only does it answer your own questions, but equips you to effectively respond to those that resist the Gospel due to worldly teaching on origins. This important work is a ‘must have’ for anyone’s library!
Includes answers to over 60 of the most-asked questions in the following 20 categories:
- Does God exist?
- Six days? Really?
- What about gap theories?
- What about carbon-14 dating?
- How can we see distant starlight in a young universe?
- What about arguments for evolution?
- How did bad things come about?
- Who was Cain’s wife?
- Were the ‘sons of God’ and/or the ‘nephilim’ extra-terrestrials?
- Was the Flood global?
- What about continental drift?
- What about all that water?
- How did all the animals fit on the Ark?
- How did fresh/saltwater fish survive?
- Where are all the human fossils?
- How could animals get to places like Australia?
- Were there really ice ages?
- How did the different races arise?
- What about dinosaurs?
- What can I do?