2 Peter 3:3—8 tells us that people who scoff at the Bible are “willingly ignorant” of the Creation and the Flood. In order to understand science and the Bible, we must not be ignorant of those two great events in Earth’s history.
Other Points to Ponder
- More than 250 Flood legends from all parts of the world have been found. Most have similarities to the Genesis story.
- Noah’s ark was built only to float, not to sail anywhere. Many ark scholars believe that the ark was a “barge” shape, not a pointed “boat” shape. This would greatly increase the cargo capacity. Scoffers have pointed out that the largest sailing ships were less than 300 feet because of the problem of twisting and flexing the boat. These ships had giant masts, and sails to catch the wind. Noah’s ark needed neither of those and therefore had far less torsion-related stress.
- Even using the small 18-inch cubit (someone that is a height of 6-ft. 1-in. has a 21-in. cubit) the ark was large enough to hold all the required animals, people and food with room to spare.
- The length-to-width ratio of 6 to 1 is what shipbuilders today often use. This is the best ratio for stability in stormy weather. (God thinks of everything!)
- The ark may have had a “moon-pool” in the center. The larger ships would have a hole in the center of the bottom of the boat with walls extending up into the ship. There are several reasons for this feature:
- It allowed water to go up into the hole as the ship crested waves. This would be needed to relieve strain on longer ships.
- The rising and lowering water acted as a piston to pump fresh air in and out of the ship. This would prevent the buildup of dangerous gasses from all the animals on board.
- The hole was a great place to dump garbage into the ocean without going outside.
- The ark may have had large drogue (anchor) stones suspended over the sides to keep it more stable in rough weather. Many of these stones have been found in the region where the ark landed.
- God told Noah to bring two of each kind (seven of some), not of each species or variety. Noah had only two of the dog kind, which would include the wolves, coyotes, foxes, mutts, etc. The “kind” grouping is probably closer to our modern family division in taxonomy, and would greatly reduce the number of animals on the ark. Animals have diversified into many varieties in the last 4400 years since the Flood. This diversification is not anything similar to great claims that the evolutionists teach.
- Noah did not have to get the animals. God brought them to him (Gen. 6:20, “shall come to thee”).
- Only land-dwelling, air-breathing animals had to be included on the ark (Gen. 7:15, “in which is the breath of life,” 7:22). Noah did not need to bring all the thousands of insect varieties.
- Many animals sleep, hibernate or become inactive during bad weather.
- All animals (and people) were vegetarians before and during the Flood, according to Gen. 1:20-30 with Gen. 9:3.
- The pre-Flood people were probably much smarter and more advanced than people today. The longer life spans, Adam’s direct contact with God, and the fact that they could glean the wisdom of many generations that were still alive would greatly expand their knowledge base.
- The Bible says that the highest mountains were covered by 15 cubits of water. This is half the height of the ark. The ark was safe from scraping bottom at all times.
- The large mountains, as we have them today, did not exist until after the Flood when “the mountains arose and the valleys sank down” (Ps. 104:5-9, Gen. 8:3-8).
- There is enough water in the oceans right now to cover the earth 8,000 feet deep if the surface of the earth were smooth.
- Many claim to have seen the ark in recent times in the area in which the Bible says it landed. There are two primary schools of thought about the actual site of the ark (see my Creation Seminar Part 3 video for more on this). Much energy and time has been expended to prove both views. Some believe the ark is on Mt. Ararat, covered by snow (CBS showed a one-hour special in 1993 about this site). The other group believes the ark is seventeen miles south of Mt. Ararat in a valley called “the valley of eight” (eight souls on the ark). The Bible says the ark landed in the “mountains” of Ararat, not necessarily on the mountain itself.
- The top 3,000 feet of Mt. Everest (from 26,000 to 29,000 feet) is made up of sedimentary rock packed with seashells and other ocean-dwelling animals.
- Sedimentary rock is found all over the world (this is formed in water).
- Petrified clams in the closed position (found all over the world) testify to their rapid burial while they were still alive, even on top of Mount Everest.
- Bent rock layers, fossil graveyards, and poly-strata fossils are best explained by a Flood.
- People choose to not believe in the Flood because it speaks of the judgment of God on sin (2 Pet. 3:3-8).
To Learn More We Suggest:
This book will answer your questions about the reality of Noah’s Flood and the Ark. Was the Ark big enough? Is there evidence that it really happened? Author Dr Tas Walker, an engineer and geologist, shows that the biblical account is thoroughly believable, and explains where you can see the evidence. The message can change your world. (High School–Adult) 32 pages.